Apache Wicket is one of the most famous Java web application frameworks. Wicket simplifies web development and makes it fun. Are you bored of going through countless pages of theory to find out how to get your web development done? With this book in hand, you don’t need to go through hundreds of pages to figure out how you will actually build a web application. You will get practical solutions to your common everyday development tasks to pace up your development activities.
Apache Wicket Cookbook provides you with information that gets your problems solved quickly without beating around the bush. This book is perfect for you if you are ready to take the next step from tutorials and step into the practical world. It will take you beyond the basics of using Apache Wicket and show you how to leverage Wicket’s advanced features to create simpler and more maintainable solutions to what at first may seem complex problems.
A straightforward Cookbook with highly focused practical recipes to make your web application development easier with the Wicket web framework.
What you will learn from this book
- Leverage Wicket to implement a wide variety of both simple and advanced use cases in a narrative that gets straight to the point
- Make forms work in the crazy world of the Web by learning the ways of Wicket’s form processing
- Simplify localizing your Wicket applications
- Take the boring out of your forms by discovering how to improve the user experience while simplifying your code at the same time
- Leverage the built-in Table component to make displaying tabular data a snap
- Think Wicket’s Borders are not very useful? Learn to use them in unexpected places to simplify things
- See how to integrate with Flash components and create interactive charts at the same time
- Web 1.0 too boring? Learn how to tame Wicket’s AJAX support and bring your application into Web 2.0
- Simplify your security code by learning various security techniques
- An application cannot be built with Wicket alone; see how to make it play nice with other frameworks
This is a hands-on practical guide to a large variety of topics and use cases. This book tries to use real-world examples when possible, but is not afraid to come up with a contrived pretext if it makes explaining the problem simpler. Unlike a lot of other books, this one does not try to maintain a continuous theme from chapter to chapter, such as demonstrating solutions on the same fictional application; doing so would be almost impossible given the wide variety of recipes presented here. Instead, this book concentrates on focused problems users are likely to encounter and shows clear solutions in a step-by-step manner. This book tries to teach by example and is not afraid to show a lot of code because, after all, it is for coders.
Who this book is written for
This book is for current users of the Apache Wicket framework; it is not an introduction to Wicket that will bore you with tons of theory. You are expected to have built or maintained a simple Wicket application in the past and to be looking to learn new and better ways of using Wicket. If you are ready to take your Wicket skills to the next level this book is for you.
About the author
Igor Vaynberg is a software architect with more than ten years of experience in the software field. His liking for computers was sparked when his parents got him a Sinclair Z80 when he was but ten years old. Since then he has worked with companies both large and small building modular and scalable web applications. Igor’s main interest is finding ways to simplify the development of complex user interfaces required by modern web applications. Igor is a committer for the Apache Wicket framework, the aim of which is to simplify the programming model as well as reintroduce OOP to the web UI tier. In his AFK time he enjoys snowboarding with his beautiful wife and playing with his amazing children.
|Title||Apache Wicket Cookbook|
|Version covered||Wicket 1.4, but most material is applicable to Wicket 1.5|
|Publisher URL||Apache Wicket Cookbook|